Second Life and Education



''Second Life'' is an online virtual world, developed and owned by the San Francisco-based firm Linden Lab and launched on June 23, 2003. In this game, you can create your own avatar and experience the 3D virtual world. There are a lot of places that you can visit and interact with people from all around the world. Also, it is easy to download and play (I will put the website link down below, you can check it out!). 

↑ This is my avatar!
Apart from playing this game for fun, you can also create learning environments and communities in Second Life. For example, you can create a classroom and teach students in virtual reality. Also, apart from the classroom, you can practice a foreign language with people. 


Technology is improving day by day and I think we shouldn't use ordinary books in our lessons anymore. According to the study (I will put the link of the article down below!) with 501 students aged 16 to 18 from across the UK, 52.9% of the students spend more than 10 hours using the Internet for learning each week, and 47.1% spend 5 hours to 10 hours each week with virtual classrooms.

Finally, I like the game so far. I went to different places and communicate with people. It was a good experience for me. I will upload my photos from the game so that you can have a clear idea.










This is the example of a virtual classroom in Second Life



LINKS
http://go.secondlife.com/landing/education/?lang=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPe91eW8NU
http://teacheranima.com/

Thank you for reading! =)
- Busra Nur Kut


Comments